Tweet

Monday, September 23, 2013

Game Time Quick Salsa



I haven't had salsa for some time!  I have picked up all the ingredients for salsa making and canning it up in jars.  I also freeze it if I run out of energy or time, and need to finish using up all the tomatoes.  Otherwise, I prepare a couple jars every evening and set them in the water bath canner pot.  I skipped today because I was just a little too tired from all the running around at the markets yesterday.

Now, you don't have to do what I do and can these up for winter.  In fact I don't preserve the following recipe I am sharing.  I have a variety of recipes, but  you certainly can make a small batch or bowl of any type salsa to enjoy while you skip the fast-food type snacks. You don't have to buy everything prepared and pay extra even if you don't have half of these ingredients.

If produce is too expensive where you are, make the canned version and if it's not fit for eating like a snack to you, serve it over grilled chicken with veggies and rice! I have been known to serve or bring salad type salsa and chips to parties, brimming with corn, avacado and more colorful peppers!  I guess I was bringing my own snack, because the greasy wings and fried foods were good in moderation too but I prefer to pig out on salsa and chips!

This one happens to be fast and gives you an alternative if you don't have ALL fresh ingredients, and if you have a container of this in the fridge prepared in advance, it's quickly ready and easy to devour.  My tip is to not just dip the chip, but load the chip with huge heaping portions of salsa.  I like it spicy and this makes it much healthier for you and you will get satisfied faster!




Game Time Salsa

Prep: 10 minutes

-3 medium ripe tomatoes, finely chopped  (tip: you can use a variety of tomatoes for optimum flavour)
OR 1 (14.5 oz./ 430 ml) can of diced tomatoes
-1 medium white onion chopped OR any type of onion such as red & green onions
-1 -3 jalapenos peppers, seeded and finely chopped OR omit spicy peppers and add a tsp. of chili powder
-1- 3 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro OR 15 ml- 30 ml dried cilantro
-2 cloves of garlic OR a tsp. of garlic powder.
-1 tbsp. (15 ml) of freshly squeezed lemon or lime OR lemon or lime juice
-1/4 tsp. (1 ml.) salt
-pepper to taste

Cumin to taste is optional, but very much a flavour of Mexico.  If you have chosen to use the chili powder instead of spicy peppers,  skip the cumin as it's already in chili powder.  Sometimes it's better to let salsa sit and simmer all the flavours together, and other times just chilled is good enough.  Eat with tortilla chips or vegan crackers.  If you still include cheese in your diet, some grated cheese melted on the tortilla chips is very nice to add and will make up for the salsa if you did not use all fresh ingredients.

Directions:  In a medium bowl stir together tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lemon juice and salt.  Serve with chips.  Makes 2 cups.


So, if you are in a rush this week and still want to keep eating relatively healthy try this out!
Have a great week!




No comments: