Tweet

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Radical Raw Salad!

I wanted to share a great salad recipe and we can all obtain more produce from our gardens or on our travels to the store, all year round to fight off disease!

To make this salad, was not hard, I mean a salad is a salad right?  Not really, some are more nutritious and "raw" food eating is different, this is why I chose to make-up a dinner raw- style salad.  I also cooked wild rice and herbs for a small dish, but that is not raw.  It might be Vegetarian though.  Basically, no meat in this dinner and you may remember Bart and Homer, from The Simpson's, chiming "You can't make friends with salad!"  Well, I beg to differ! ;)
 
                                                           Radical Raw Salad

Salad:
3 organic carrots
1 Ambrose apple
1/2 a bundle of spinach
1vine ripened hot house tomato
1/8 cup of chopped, water soaked almonds (24 hours in the fridge)

Dressing:
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 small piece of peeled ginger, small amount finely grated
1/2 tsp of ground cumin
1/3 cup of regular yellow mustard
1 tablespoon unpasteurized honey
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar to mix
clean jar with lid to shake all dressing ingredients

Those are the ingredients; not everything was organic, some was local or very close to it.  The tomato and apple was not.  I tried to make using my garnishing secrets book and tools.  Nothing worked for me, like trying spirals, but I will attempt another time again.

So, all produce gets washed really well with water; carrots got peeled, washed and grated into my bowl, the spinach must be strained well. Then I chopped into smaller pieces and added it in the bowl, cut the tomato and added that into the bowl. 

I had  the almonds already soaked, 24 hours previously, so this is a step you will want to to do beforehand or skip it altogether and eat then normal and crunchy. It makes them easier to digest when they are soaked and it breaks down the phytic acids.  Then I cut them into slivers.  Make the dressing and cut the apple last so it doesn't brown so much; this is because my apple did brown but it was delicious anyways.

More on why soaking nuts is necessary: Soak Your Nuts

The dressing is everything on the list, put into the jar and shake very well.  Taste test!  I added more pepper, and I grate fresh pepper on top of my salad.  I will be showing you more ways to make recipes that are easy and raw..... or even organic on a budget! Enjoy!



No comments: