Tweet

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Kick-Off & Summer 2011 Events Calendar

Happy Monday!! Well, hopefully you are going to be happy when you are done reading this weekly post.
If you find my topics this summer at all helpful or interesting then I am glad to have shared!  Please subscribe if you find the time, so that you can receive the newest updates! You can have my weekly newsletter mailed right to you in your e-mail inbox!

Let's get right to it and kick off summer and my summertime events blog topics.  Be sure to look out for some bonus segments.  Who doesn't like bonus??
Don't forget to scroll down IF you want to skip through and check out Summer Events Schedule/ Calendar.
Have fun!

Do-It-Yourself Beauty: A summer exclusive that will feature natural, simple and easy do it yourself ways to make your own beauty solutions.

This week's tip:   Lip Exfoliation

Take some sugar and some lemon juice mix this in a small, clean non-porous container and then rub this on your lips.  It is a great way to exfoliate dry skin, as recommended on about.com
Follow-up with some Vitamin E (you can break open a Vitamin e capsule or use the Vitamin E skin oil) and honey and use this to condition your lips in between exfoliating.  Alternatively, you can mix sugar and honey together to achieve similar results or use your toothbrush regularly to brush your lips and scrub away dead skin before applying your favorite lip conditioner.
Enjoy smooth lips this summer!

Summer Recipe of the Week:
You will see a new summer inspired recipe each week, featuring something mouth watering great recipes.  I hope this will help you host all your summer time gatherings!
*Check out the health facts on the recipes I post.

This week:  Herb Rubbed Steak with Pepper & Arugula Relish

Prep time: 10 minutes Total time: 30 minutes Serves: 4
Health facts to this recipe,
Per Serving (1/4 of the recipe):
250 calories, 25 grams protein, 13 grams total fat
(3 grams saturated fat), 55 milligrams cholesterol,
7 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram fibre, 4 grams sugars,
230 milligrams sodium
Shopping List:
1 lb (500 g) Top Sirloin Grilling Steak
1 tbsp. Italian Herb Seasonings; oregano, thyme,
basil, rosemary,  made into a paste
1 red pepper, diced
1 sweet onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil, divided
1 tbsp. (15 ml) aged balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp. (1 ml) salt and pepper, divided
1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped arugula

Heat barbecue to medium high.  Rub the steaks with herb paste and set aside on a plate.  Set the red pepper, onion and garlic on a double layer of foil. 

Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon each of salt  and pepper.  Seal foil tightly into a packet.  Set on the grill and cook with the lid closed for about 8-10 minutes.

Drizzle the steaks with the remaining olive oil.  Grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side on medium (160*F/71*C reading on an instant thermometer).  Season steaks with remaining salt and pepper.
Let rest once finished cooking for 5 to 10 minutes. 

Meanwhile, mix the washed and chopped arugula into the red pepper and onion mixture to make a warm relish, seasoning to taste.  Thinly slice the steak and serve with the relish.

Hey, if you have no BBQ, use a roasting pan, and combine the red pepper, onion and garlic with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper.  Set the pan in the top third of the oven and broil for 10-12 minutes or until the vegetables are caramelized, stirring occasionally.  On the stove top, sear oiled steaks in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, 1 minute per side.  Transfer the skillet to the oven and broil for 2 to 3 minutes per side on medium (same reading as above on the instant-read thermometer).  Enjoy!


Better Body Time:
You can try a new exercise this summer to help you look better and gain more energy. This article will feature easy small exercises that you can fit into a hectic schedule.

This week: Bun Burning Wall Squat

This exercise is not necessarily easy, but the time goes by fast enough and anyone can allot 15 minutes from their day to do this quick routine You will need to be wearing unrestricted work-out clothes, use a dedicated wall to squat against and support your back and have no obstacles around, and have proper running shoes for support.

The technique is not hard but I would recommend you see the below link from about.com, I decided it's the best way to describe the exercise and the best to follow their guidelines.

Important
If you have any further questions or concerns before you start any exercises, and you should consult your doctor if you have knee problems, pain or other physical disadvantages.  Please do this first if you are concerned, as this may not be the exercise for you.

Here's the link that leads you directly to about.com where they discuss the proper technique to
a wall squat:
http://backandneck.about.com/od/deskexercises/ht/wallsquat.htm

Interesting there are many reasons as to why to do the squat exercise:
http://www.healthline.com/hlbook/strt-why-you-should-squat

Here's a link to the proper way you should look when doing this exercise; in case you need a visual.
http://www.healthline.com/hlbook?bookid=strt&imageid=Incledon Ch11_img_7c.jpg

Fresh Summer Drinks:
Whether it be a refreshing, cold, alcoholic or non-alcoholic, fruity, berry, tropical or delicious drink, this summer exclusive will feature a new summer time inspired drink weekly.

Get ready for your thirst to be quenched!

This week: Spicy Peach

2 thin slices of serrano
A few slices of lime
2 ounces of Stoli Peach Vodka
Splash of Rose's Lime
Splash of simple syrup
Stir or mix gently the chili slices and lime in a
shaker.  Add ice, vodka, Rose's, and the simple syrup.
Shake and strain into a stemmed glass.
Created by: Sam Fowler, Olive or Twist, Portland, Ore.
Now I am thinking this can also be done with Pear Vodka.
That would be a nice spin on this refreshing cool one.


Balcony Garden and UPDATE! Picture revealed today!
I thought I would load a picture to show you my small but flourishing balcony garden.  At least I am trying to grow some herbs and salad, as well as several tomato plants.

There was a bit of a set-back when it came to my small herb planter.  Aphids attacked and killed almost everything I was growing, and despite using recommended organic ways to kill these pests they took my plants down with them.

I finally purchased a spray product that can be used up to a day before harvesting, if need be.   It is made from a flower itself, so it is a plant product. I don't plan to have any more aphids or pests.  If you want to know the product that has worked so far, then please comment a question below, and I will answer.  I want to hear from other gardeners!

The bug killing product was purchased at Wal-mart for about $7.00  and it worked to kill off these aphids before they kill my basil plant.  Now, I will be purchasing some more herbs and will replant that section if I find the time. It had set me back about $17 dollars, between plants and remedy to solve the bug problem.
 
I do have strawberries growing in the hanging containers and we ate a few so far.  These are totally organic, and contain no pesticides as store bought strawberries do.  I did not have to use any bug killing agents or take any measures on these so far.    I still give the berries a wash and then pat them dry and cut them up over my favorite cereal.

My tomatoes are doing very well and I have some more started in my small greenhouse.If you see the plastic cover that is the little greenhouse (seen in photo).  I will have full and grown tomatoes from my mature plants in no time I hope. 

I also have sprouted squash, pickle cucumber plants, assorted pepper plants, lettuce, spinach, parsley
and more purple and green basil plants.  I will keep you posted this summer on the progress of this garden and hopefully you are gardening along with  me!!  Happy growing. :)


Jam Studio Review Bonus Segment:

I had been meaning to write this article for awhile, letting everyone who writes or creates music to know about Jam Studio.  I had stumbled upon it and was so happy last year.  I have had a subscription for about a year now and I am creating some great songs. 

There is also a forum on jam studio that allows artists to share and chat with each other.  I would recommend this part of the jam studio experience as well, as I had constructive and good feedback about a song I posted.  It was a song I created for a friend's son that does gymnastic routines.

At least currently you don't need a subscription to create music, but if you wish for the all access granted pass for the full benefits to jam studio then you do need a subscription.  The subscription, when I joined was $29.99 every six months. You do get a karaoke recorder and drum producer program with that subscription, so I think it's well worth it to have an at home recording studio.

Now, I would certainly still like a keyboard and guitar to accompany my songs so that will be down the road, perhaps this fall.


Double Bonus Segment:

This week:  Book Reading Update

I am working my way through reading 55 Surefire Internet Businesses, You Can Start for Under $5,000 by Entrepreneur Press & Melissa Campanelli.  It is quite interesting and I am learning a certain amount so far on ideas of businesses, to how to actually get started.

IThe key learning's are very interesting.  You can find out all about the books I have read on camping trips and my top book recommendations later if you like- just let me know in the comments and I will send you more information.
http://www.amazon.ca/Surefire-Internet-Businesses-Start-Under/dp/1599182610

Plus a peak interest of the week, also comes from about.com.  It's how to look 10 years younger, with make-up magic!  Well, proper make-up application can be magic.  Check it out! :)
http://video.about.com/beauty/How-to-Look-10-Years-Younger-With-Proper-Makeup.htm

Don't forget to browse the Upcoming Summer Events Schedule/Calendar -below, and I am hoping to stick to this schedule.

In any event I am camping on the Sunday prior to any Monday event posted, I will have to catch up during the week.  This is because sometimes we do not have a wi-fi signal at the camping sites and we basically end up using a laptop as a glorified television to watch movies when it's raining.  Of course, if we do I will keep up as scheduled!!Stay tuned.

HAVE A HAPPY AND SAFE CANADA DAY!

Blog Summer Events Schedule for July & August 2011 SUMMER!!

July 2011

 Monday July 4th- !! 

 Happy Independence Day (U.S.A.)
 Do-It-Yourself (D.I.Y.) Beauty
 Summer Recipe of the Week
 Better Body Time
 Fresh Summer Drinks
 Aromatherapy
 Summer Camping Party Favor

 Monday July 11th-

 D.I.Y. Beauty
 Summer Recipe of the Week
 Better Body Time
 Fresh Summer Drinks
 Mighty Herbs of the Garden
 Stampede 2011 Review

 Monday July 18th-

 D.I.Y. Beauty Feature
 Summer Recipe of the Week
 Better Body Time
 Fresh Summer Drinks
 Pet Corner Talk
 Movie Review

 Monday July 25th-

 D.I.Y. Beauty
 Summer Recipe of the Week
 Better Body Time
 Fresh Summer Drinks
 Garden Update
 Book Review

August 2011

 Monday August 1st-

 D.I.Y. Beauty
 Summer Recipe of the Week
 Better Body Time
 Fresh Summer Drinks
 Preparing for Garden Harvest
 Camping Update

 Monday August 8th-

 D.I.Y. Beauty
 Summer Recipe of the Week
 Better Body Time
 Fresh Summer Drinks
 Summer Craft Corner
 Art Update

 Monday August 15th-

 D.I.Y. Beauty
 Summer Recipe of the Week
 Better Body Time
 Fresh Summer Drinks
 Garden Harvest Recipes
 Coupon Review

 Monday August 22nd-

 D.I.Y. Beauty
 Summer Recipe of the Week
 Better Body Time
 Fresh Summer Drinks
 Photography Update
 Writing Online

 Monday August 29th-

 D.I.Y. Beauty
 Summer Recipe of the Week
 Better Body Time
 Fresh Summer Drinks
 Fall & Winter Decor Fashion from TrulyJulie on Etsy
 Back to School

No comments: